The Park of Hukvaldy

The Park of Hukvaldy

The Park was established by Bishop Wilhelm Prusínovský in (1565-1572). But as of today, has not been on the slopes of Castle Hill, because it was until the mid-18th century unwooded from reason of defence.  Deer was bred in the Park especially for the Episcopal and capitular cuisine in Kroměříž or in Olomouc.

 

The Park is very well up in the period between the world wars. Then there were 550 in deers, 50 mouflons, and also  tried to even the raising of the East Asia dupplet deer "siky", whose herd but completely disappeared. Were built ponds and hatchery trout called “duháky”, the royal Pheasant was also breeded. All of this, including the excellent bee-keeping were lost after World War II.

 

The post-war period was for Park unfavourable.  Tornado in 1957 in addition, overturning of aged greats, which destroyed the Southeast wall of the Park, and most of the game, fled to the Kozlovice forests. The collapsed wall was repaired in the year 1962. Park was then expanded to 80 hectares of forest on the slope of Kazničova. From the remaining 40 fallow deer then managed to raise over time about 200 and 100-150 Mouflon, because the Park became the " exclusive hunting area” of the Ministry of forest and water management, and hunting area for Government and foreign guests.

 

Up to this day you can see all kinds of game which here found a permanent home. In the second half of the 70. years of 20. century, there were in addition to venison, also Hare, squirrel, weasel, marten, forest, here and there even a polecat, weasel and stoat. In the caves in the mountain slopes also foxes and Badgers, in the trees crowns birds of prey-buzzard, sparrowhawk, and a hawk. From other birds live here jackdaws, crows, wild pigeons  and hoopoe, woodpecker, green woodpecker and phoenix, Jays, cuckoos, pheasants and owls in the ruins of the Castle and temporarily even eagle owl. At one-time nest here the rare black stork. Around the year 1900 began keeping here Mouflon, thanks the fallen acorns came wild boar and deer. Originally only a predominantly beech vegetation was at the end of 19th century eke out with rare trees- elms, pines, red oak (American), and in the hunting grounds even tsuga canadensis.

 

Length of the route from the place of accommodation to the entrance to the scopes: 1.2 km  

Back to the lists of trips.

How can I get there?

 

Additional information